We continue our tour of Great Camp Santanoni in Newcomb, NY in the Adirondacks. It was built in 1892 by Robert Pruyn the famous Albany banker and designed by Robert Robertson in the Japanese Temple style.
The outside (and inside walls) are all original notched logs with many many windows. The windows have painted red stiles and rails and mullions with tiny panes of glass. Here we are standing on one of the many long overhanging porches on the lake side looking back at the windows. Does anyone notice the rows of pegs below the windows? These were common and under many of the main windows. Does anyone have a guess what they were for?
The Pruyns were a fishing family that loved outdoor life and especially angling. These rows of pegs were used to hand up the long fishing rods and lines to let them dry before they were put away.