Tags

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

There were a few detached structures (no porches or covered runways to it) at Great Camp Santanoni.  One was the very large Boathouse on the left side of Santanoni and one the beautiful Studio or “Artist’s Studio” on the far right side of Santanoni.  Edward Lansing Pruyn (Ned), the son of Robert C. Pruyn the founder of Santanoni wanted to have a career of painting and artistry.  His father Robert Pruyn had this Artist Studio built nearby right on the lake side.  It was made in 1904 and designed by the architects Delano & Aldrich. It had a log structure like the main house at Santanoni, but differed in that it had a large window with stone arch to let in lots of light.  The massive stone chimney was actually built on top of a boulder so it became part of the landscape.  The inside had large timbered beams also different than the main house.

Ned Pruyn had gone to Harvard and helped design the Gatehouse and road system and was the person who came up with the natural timber bridge guardrails that later became standard at NY State Parks and later at National Parks in the United States.  He decided to not pursue banking and finance like his siblings and instead spent 50 years as a painter here.

ISO 200, F/7.1, 1/50 sec, 28 mm Lens

ISO 200, F/7.1, 1/50 sec, 28 mm Lens

A view of the masonry side with the fireplace and boulder:

ISO 200, F/7.1, 1/60 sec, 24 mm Lens

ISO 200, F/7.1, 1/60 sec, 24 mm Lens

The fire extinguisher and propane tank are not original but for use by the camp carpenter who uses the cabin to stay for the summers to make repairs on the camp.

 

Advertisements